Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Week 4: Technologies in academic assignment-driven one-shot


 Technologies that would be useful for my final project

        Reading through this week's materials I feel like my final project/classes are pretty vanilla!  I need some sprinkles! Nevertheless, the ideas I've been gathering these last few weeks have improved my class plans quite a bit. In the past I was stuck on lecture-mode and really didn't use anything other than my computer hooked up to a screen to show the students what I was doing (databases, library website). The students followed along on their computers, but that was it! I started showing the Yavapai College database video from Youtube that I've mentioned a few times only recently. I think I'm going to make that a regular thing for the future.
         -"technology 1": Youtube video
                     Yavapai College database video followed by discussion to enhance learning of theories covered. The Horizon Report considers youtube videos social media, which I suppose is true- especially if you're uploading videos. We would upload anything or comment on the video in class, but we would certainly stream the video to the classroom.
       -"technology 2" Primary vs Secondary online quiz
                     Ithaca College Primary vs Secondary "quiz" followed by discussion as a whole class or in small groups. We would work through the quiz together as a group or I'd ask them to work on specific questions in groups. Groups or not, this is an example of the collaborative learning trend mentioned in the Horizon Report.
        -"technology 3" assessment
                     I got this idea from another student in this class, but I loved the idea of giving the student a self-assessment to explore their own learning progress from the class. This could be done on a Google form and would not only give them an opportunity to think about what they learned and how to apply it in their future, but also will give me feedback on how they're learning in the one-shot class. I can made adjustments and brainstorm new ideas to help the students learn better. This is an example of the data driven/assessment trend mentioned in the Horizon Report.

I am sure that all of these 3 things will be major improvements over my "talk at you" format from before. I'm not sure that they're the best ways to get the information in these one-shots across, but it's certainly an improvement! Considering I've never taken any kind of instructional design or education course before I think it's a pretty good start! The above technology examples aren't really cutting edge, but I would rather them be fully functional in getting concepts across than flashy and weak. I could supplement this all with swag to up the motivation and participation, but I want to also try it without freebies to see how it works as well.

I'm teaching a one-shot to 90 students tomorrow and I'm planning on using the first two technologies I listed above in a class discussion format. It will be a bit experimental, but we will see how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Don't think you have to radically change or redo everything in your class. Try one or two new things for a while, see what works, what doesn't and adjust or add more as time goes on.
    You can also look into active learning techniques. If your students have a computer in front of them - make them use it.

    ReplyDelete